CORROSION INHIBITION PROPERTY OF EXPIRED FLUOXYMESTERONE DRUG ON THE ALUMINUM (AL) SURFACE IN 3 % NaCl SOLUTION
Keywords:Aluminum, Mass loss, Expired Fluoxymesterone drug, Contact time, Atomic absorption spectroscopy
Objective: Aluminum (Al) corrosion in the NaCl solution is an example of dissolution in the neutral medium. The ongoing corrosion research efforts to produce the eco-friendly corrosion inhibitors to protect the aluminum metal from the corrosive solution.
Methods: Herein, mass loss and atomic absorption spectroscopy (AAS) techniques were conducted to explain the adsorption property of expired Fluoxymesterone drug on the Al surface in the 3 % NaCl solution.
Results: All results show that the expired Fluoxymesterone drug molecules generate a stable invisible layer through adsorption mechanism on the electrode surface. The corrosion inhibition behavior mainly depends on the concentration of the expired Fluoxymesterone drug and contact time at 313 K.
Conclusion: The corrosion inhibition property is due to adsorption of electron-rich molecules on the Al surface in 3 % NaCl solution.
2. Raghavendra N, Ishwara Bhat J. Green approach to inhibition of corrosion of aluminum in 0.5 M HCl medium by tender arecanut seed extract: insight from gravimetric and electrochemical studies. Res Chem Intermed 2016;42:6351–72.
3. Diggle W, Downie TC, Goulding C. The dissolution of porous oxide films on aluminum. Electrochim Acta 1970;15:1079–93.
4. Pyun SI, Moon SM. The inhibition mechanism of pitting corrosion of pure aluminium by nitrate and sulfate ions in neutral chloride solution. J Solid State Electrochem 1999;3:331–6.
5. Abdallah M. Antibacterial drugs as corrosion inhibitors for corrosion of aluminium in hydrochloric solution. Corros Sci 2004;46:1981–96.
6. Ferreira ES, Giacomelli C, Giacomelli FC, Spinelli A. Evaluation of the inhibitor effect of L-ascorbic acid on the corrosion of mild steel. Mater Chem Phys 2004;83:129–34.
7. Fouda AS, Megahed HE, Fouad N, Elbahrawi NM. Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in 1 M hydrochloric acid solution by aqueous extract of Thevetia peruviana. J Bio Tribo Corrosion 2016;2:16.
8. Zheludkevich ML, Yasakau KA, Poznyak SK, Ferreira MGS. Triazole and thiazole derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for AA2024 aluminium alloy. Corros Sci 2005;47:3368–83.
9. Deng S, Li X. The synergistic inhibitive effect and some quantum chemical parameters of 2, 3-diaminonaphthalene and iodide ions on the hydrochloric acid corrosion of aluminium. Corros Sci 2012;64:253–62.
10. Rosaliza R, Wan Nik WB, Senin HB. The effect of inhibitor on the corrosion of aluminum alloys in acidic solutions. Mater Chem Phys 2008;107:281–8.