• JAIDEV KUMAR Department of Paediatric, JSS Medical College and Hospital, S. S. Nagar, Mysore 570015
  • MAHENDRAPPA Department of Paediatric, JSS Medical College and Hospital, S. S. Nagar, Mysore 570015
  • PRAMOD KUMAR Department of Paediatric, JSS Medical College and Hospital, S. S. Nagar, Mysore 570015



Elderly, Medication, Adherence, Chronic Diseases


Objective: To assess medication adherence among patients with chronic diseases.

Methods: This was a prospective observational study carried out over period of one year in mysuru city. The subjects who meet study criteria were enrolled in this research study. The enrolled subjects were administered with simplified medication adherence questionnaire. The criteria to establish adherent and non-adherent were calculated as per simplified medication adherence questionnaire directions.

Results: The gender distribution of this research study was reflected with male accountable for 45.63 % followed by female 54.36%. Asper simplified medication adherence questionnaire88% were adherent and remaining 12% were non-adherent in this research study.

Conclusion: Patients with good adherence in this research study showed that they have good literacy status as well as better awareness about the existing medical condition and more consciousness may be there among these patients, what will be going to happen if their medical condition is left untreated.46.29 % males and 59.58 % females were adherent in this research study followed by 59.24% were adherent in the age range of 60-70 y as they were more conscious and less forgetfulness about medications as per the directions given by patient consultant which was oral feedback taken by research investigators during medication review in subjects home.


Download data is not yet available.


1. S Pirasath, T Kumanan, M Guruparan. A study on knowledge, awareness, and medication adherence in patients with hypertension from a tertiary care centre from Northern Sri Lanka. Int J Hypertens 2017;1-6. Doi:10.1155/2017/9656450
2. Habtamu Dame Berisa, Mohammed Gebre Dedefo. Non-adherence related factors to antihypertensive medications among hypertensive patients on follow up at nedjo general hospital in West Ethiopia. Open Public Health J 2017;11:62-71.
3. EJ Rocella, V Burt, MJ Horan, J Cutler. Changes in hypertension awareness, treatment, and control rates 20-Year trend data. Ann Epidemiol 1993;3:547–9.
4. National High Blood Pressure Education Program. National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group Report on Primary Prevention of Hypertension. Bethesda, MD: U. S. Department of Health and Human Service, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; NIH publication no. 93-2669; 1993.
5. VL Burt, P Whelton, EJ Roccella. Prevalence of hypertension in the US adult population: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1991. Hypertension 1995;25:305-13.
6. Schmeiser Rieder, U Kunze. Blood pressure awareness in Austria. A 20-year evaluation, 1978-1998. Eur Heart J 2000;21:414–20.
7. KI Kjellgren, S Svensson, J Ahlner, R Saljo. Hyperten-sive patients’ knowledge of high blood pressure. Scandinavian J Primary Health Care 1997;15:188–92.
8. EL Knight, RL Bohn, PS Wang, RJ Glynn, H Mogun, J Avorn. Predictors of uncontrolled hypertension in ambulatory patients. Hypertension 2001;38:809–14.
9. R Collins, R Peto, S MacMahon. Blood pressure, stroke, and coronary heart disease. Part 2, short-term reductions in blood pressure: overview of randomised drug trials in their epidemiological context. Lancet 1990;335:827–38.
10. JW Farquhar, N Maccoby, PD Wood. Education and communication studies in Oxford Textbook of Public Health. WW Holland, R Detels, G Knox. Eds. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK; 1985. p. 207–21.
11. M Rosenstock, VJ Strecher, MH Becker. Social learning theory and the Health belief model. Health Education J 1988;15:175-83.
12. O Prochaska, CC DiClemente, JC Norcross. In search of how people change: applications to addictive behaviours. Am Psychologist (Salma) 1992;47:1102-14.
13. V Chobanian, GL Bakris, HR Black. The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: the JNC 7 report. J Am Med Assoc 2003;289:2560–72.
14. Cutler. Combinations of lifestyle modification and drug treatment in management of mild-moderate hypertension: a review of randomized clinical trials. Clin Exp Hypertens 1993;15:1193–204.



How to Cite

KUMAR, J., MAHENDRAPPA, and P. KUMAR. “ASSESSMENT OF MEDICATION ADHERENCE AMONG ELDERLY PATIENTS IN MYSURU CITY”. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 5, Sept. 2019, pp. 41-46, doi:10.22159/ijcpr.2019v11i5.35701.



Original Article(s)