DESIGN, OPTIMIZATION AND EVALUATION OF IBUPROFEN FAST DISSOLVING TABLETS EMPLOYING STARCH PHTHALATE-A NOVEL SUPERDISINTEGRANT
Keywords:Fast dissolving, Paediatrics, Geriatric, Superdisintegrant, Starch phthalate, Ibuprofen
Objective: The objective of the present research was to prepare starch phthalate (a novel super disintegrant) and to optimize and formulate ibuprofen fast dissolving tablets employing 23factorial design using starch phthalate as super disintegrant.
Methods: Drug excipient compatibility studies like Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and thin-layer chromatography (TLC) studies were carried out to check the drug interaction between ibuprofen and starch phthalate. Direct compression method was used for tablet preparation. Prepared tablets were then evaluated for hardness, friability, drug content, disintegration time, water absorption and wetting time, in vitro dissolution studies. Response surface plots and contour plots were also plotted to know the main effects and interaction effects of independent variables (starch phthalate (A), croscarmellose sodium (B) and crospovidone (C)) on dependent variables (disintegration time and drug dissolution efficiency in 1 minute) and stability studies were also done.
Results: Tablets of all formulations were of good quality concerning drug content (100±5%), hardness (3-6 kg/cm2), and friability (less than 0.16%). In all formulations, formulation F5 found to be optimized formulation with least disintegration time 20±0.28 seconds, less wetting time 09±0.12 seconds and enhanced dissolution rate in one minute, i.e., 91.95±0.22 as compared to other formulation.
Conclusion: From the research, it was concluded that on combination with crospovidone, starch phthalate enhanced the dissolution efficiency of the drug. Hence, starch phthalate can be used as a novel disintegrant in the manufacturing of fast dissolving tablets.
2. Aher Smita S, Saudagar RB, Shinde Mayuri S. Review fast-dissolving tablets. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;9:5-12.
3. Anupam Roy. Orodispersible tablets: a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:19-26.
4. Shivangi Singh, Navneet Verma. Taste masked orodispersible tablets: a highly patient complaint dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:385-91.
5. Pratik Swarup Das, Sushma Verma, Puja Saha. Fast dissolving tablet using solid dispersion technique: a review. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:1-4.
6. Mangesh M Kumare, Rajendra P Marathe, Rajendra M Kawade, Mahavir H Ghante, Giridhar R Shendarkar. Design of fast dissolving tablet of atenolol using novel co-processed super disintegrant. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013:6:81-5.
7. Ashish Garg, MM Gupta. Mouth dissolving tablets: a review. JDDT 2013;3:207-14.
8. Ashish Masih, Ajay Kumar Tiwari. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of amoxycillin trihydrate and potassium clavulanate. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:48-58.
9. Piyush Jain, RN Gupta, Sandeep Shrivastava. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of omeprazole. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:48-51.
10. Shireen Begum, Syed Abdul Azeez Basha, Shazia Fatima. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of amlodipine and rosuvastatin. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:88-91.
11. Shiva Kumar Yellanki. Design and in vitro evaluation of orally disintegrating tablets of selegiline. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:37-9.
12. Yella Sirisha, Gopala Krishna Murthy TE, Avanapu Srinivasa Rao. Effect of formulation factors on orodispersible triptan formulations–novel approach in treatment of migraine. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:212-9.
13. Sarfaraz Mohammed, Surendra Kumar Sharma, Kalpana Kaucha, Doddayya Hiremath. Formulation and evaluation of flurbiprofen fast disintegrating tablets using natural superdisintegrants. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:247-54.
14. Jahan Nur Rahman Hazarika, Pulak Deb. Formulation evaluation and optimization of immediate release tablet of aceclofenac by direct compression method. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:118-22.
15. Hrishav Das Purkayastha, Bipul Nath. Formulation and evaluation of oral fast disintegrating tablet of ibuprofen using two super disintegrants. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:92-5.