HPLC Method Development for Simultaneous Estimation of Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate in Food Products
Keywords:Sodium benzoate, Potassium sorbate, RP-HPLC
A Reverse Phase-High Performance Liquid Chromatography method has been developed and validated for estimation of Sodium benzoate and Potassium sorbate in food products. The RP-HPLC method for Sodium benzoate and Potassium sorbate was developed using Luna C18 column (150 mm × 4.6 mm, 5 mm) as stationary phase and Acetonitrile:Sodium acetate buffer pH 4.3 (20:80) as mobile phase at 1.0ml/min flow rate and detection was carried out at 235nm and the methods were validated in accordance with ICH guidelines. Sodium benzoate and Potassium sorbate have linearity in the concentration range of 1-30µg/ml in with correlation coefficient (r2= 0.999 & r2=0.999) respectively. Sodium benzoate and Potassium sorbate eluted at 4.9 and 6.9 min respectively. The values of LOD were 0.59 and 0.39 and LOQ were 1.8 and 1.1 for sodium nezoate and potassium sorbate respectively. Results of assay and validation study are satisfactory. So, the methods can be successfully applied for the routine analysis of Sodium benzoate and Potassium sorbate.
2. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sodium_benzoate
3. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/potassium¬_sorbate
4. Available from: http://old.fssai.gov.in/Portals/0/Pdf/appendix_a_and_b_revised%2830-12-2011%29.pdf
5. Available from: http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/chemical-risks/jecfa/en/
6. Altiokka G, Ergun B, Can N, Aboul?Enein H. Validated Reversed Phase HPLC Method for the Analysis of the Food Additive, Sodium Benzoate, in Soft Drinks and Jams. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol. 2007;30(8):1125-1136.
7. Sohrabvandi S, Vesal H, Mortazavian A, Mohammadi A. Simultaneous Determination of Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate in Doogh Using High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Orient J Chem. 2015;31(3):1793-1799
8. Khosrokhavar R, Sadeghzadeh N, Hajiaghaee R, Amini M, Ghazi-Khansari M. Simultaneous Determination of Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate) in Soft Drinks and Herbal Extracts Using HighPerformance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). J Med Plants. 2010;9(35):80-87.
9. Bahremand N, Eskandari S. Determination of Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate in "Doogh" by HPLC and Comparison with Spectrophotometry. Intl J Bio-Inorg Hybrid Nanomater. 2013;2(3):429-435.
10. Ahmed M, Waseem R, Kiran S, Ahmad W, Shahzad S. Sodium Benzoate And Potassium Sorbate In Pakistani Retail Foodstuffs. Intl J Chem Res. 2013;3(6):1-6.
11. Zamani Mazdeh F, Esmaeili Aftabdari F, Moradi-Khatoonabadi Z, Shaneshin M, Torabi P, Shams Ardekani M et al. Sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate preservatives in Iranian doogh. Food Addit Contam: Part B. 2014;7(2):115-119.
12. Sneha S, R Preetha. Determination of sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate contamination in ready to serve products in post market surveillance in Chennai 2015. Discovery. 2015;51(240):176-183.
15. Faraji M, Rahbarzare F. Simultaneous Determination of Four Preservatives in Foodstuffs by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Nutrit Food Sci Res. 2016;3(2):43-50.
16. Jankulovska M, Markovska L, Ilievska B, Trpkovska S. High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Method For Determination Of Preservatives In Beverages. J Agric Food Environ Sci. 2016;67.
17. Pylypiw H, Grether M. Rapid high-performance liquid chromatography method for the analysis of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in foods. J Chromatogr A. 2000;883(1-2):299-304.
18. Dinç Zor ?, A?ç? B, Aksu Dönmez Ö, Y?ld?r?m Küçükkaraca D. Simultaneous Determination of Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Quinoline Yellow and Sunset Yellow in Lemonades and Lemon Sauces by HPLC Using Experimental Design. J Chromatogr Sci. 2016;54(6):952-957.
19. Salehi S, Khodadadi I, Akbari-adergani B, Shekarchi M, Karami Z. Surveillance of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate preservatives in dairy products produced in Hamedan province, north west of Iran. Intl Food Res J. 2017;24(3):1056-1060.
20. How do I Develop an HPLC Method. Technical Article; 2001.