SPECIFIC AND NON-SPECIFIC PARAMETERS OF SIMPLICIA AND ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF PRASMAN LEAVES (AYAPANA TRIPLINERVIS)
Keywords:Ayapana triplinervis, Non-specific parameter, Specific parameter
Objective: Ayapana triplinervis (Vahl) R.M.King and H. Rob. leaves can be applied as a diuretic and as an antioxidant. Based on its medicinal properties,
A. triplinervis can be used as traditional medicine. Therefore, its quality and safety should be guaranteed, which could be verified based on the
outcomes of standardization processes. The aim of the present study was to evaluate some specific and non-specific parameters of simplicia and 70%
ethanolic extracts of A. triplinervis leaves from three regions in Indonesia.
Methods: The samples were macerated using 70% ethanol.
Results: With regard to the specific parameters of A. triplinervis simplicia, the total water-soluble extract was 18.69–29.30%, the total ethanol-soluble
extract was 7.73–11.78%, and the total flavonoid content was 3.31–4.10, expressed as mg rutin equivalent (RE)/g simplicia. With regard to the nonspecific
parameters, the total drying losses were 13.61–14.55%, the total ash content was 11.54–11.83%, and the total acid insoluble ash content was
1.90–2.66%. In the extracts, the total flavonoid content was 14.94–22.41 expressed as mg RE/g extract, while for the non-specific parameters, the total
water content was 11.07–12.66%, the total ash content was 10.55–10.89%, and the total acid insoluble ash content was 0.25–0.32%.
Conclusion: The parameters identified could be used to determine the safety and stability of extracts and simplicial before administration to treat
Trubus Agriwidya; 1999.
2. Department of Health, Republic of Indonesia. Materia Medika
Indonesia. 6th ed. Jakarta: Department of Health, Republic of
3. Roth I, Lindorf H. South American Medicinal Plants. Berlin:
4. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan: Inventaris Tanaman Obat
Indonesia (I). Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia; 1991.
5. Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants: An Illustrated Dictionary.
New Delhi: Springer Science; 2007.
6. Matos LT, de Oliveira F, Malheiros F, de Andrade M, Monteiro M,
Baetas GA. Antimicrobial bioassay-guided fractionation of a methanol
extract of Ayapana triplinervis. Pharm Biol 2014;53:897-903.
7. Melo AS, Monteiro MC, da Silva JB, de Oliveira FR, Vieira JL, de
Andrade MA, et al. Antinociceptive, neurobehavioral and antioxidant
effects of Eupatorium triplinerve Vahl on rats. J Ethnopharmacol
8. Department of Health, Republic of Indonesia. Common Standard
Parameters of Medicinal Plant Extracts. Jakarta: Department of Health,
Republic of Indonesia; 2000.
9. Prasetyo P, Inoriah E. Management of Medicinal Plant Cultivation
(Simplisia Material). Bengkulu: Badan Penerbitan Fakultas Pertanian
10. Zainab Z, Gunanti F, Witasari H, Edityaningrum C, Mustofa M,
Murrukmihadi M. Determination of Non Specific Standardization
Parameters of Ethanol Extract of Starfruit Leaves (Averrhoa bilimbi
L.). Prosiding Rakernas dan PIT IAI; 2016.
11. Muchtaridi M, Rubiyanti R, Nuruljanah H, Laila M, Asih N,
Moelyono MW, et al. Determination of parameters standardization
crude drug and extract arabica coffee beans (Coffea arabica L.). Int J
Sci Technol Res 2017;6:61-70.
12. Yunarto N, Sulistyaningrum N. Quantitative analysis of bioactive
compounds in extract and fraction of star fruit (Averrhoa carambola L.)
leaves using high performance liquid chromatography. J Kefarmasian
13. Utami YP, Umar AH, Syahruni R, Kadullah I. Standardization
of simplicia and ethanol extract of leilem leaves (Clerodendrum
minahassae Teisjm. and Binn.). J Pharm Med Sci 2017;2:32-9.
14. Guntarti A, Sholehah K, Irna N, Fistianingrum W. Determination of
the non-specific parameters of the exthanol extract of mangosteen rind
(Garcinia mangostana) on variations of regional origin. Farmasains
15. Azwanida NN. A review on the extraction methods use in medicinal
plants, principle, strength, and limitation. J Med Aromat Plants
16. Artini P, Astuti KW, Warditiani NK. Phytochemical screening
of 70% ethanol extract of rhizome bangle (Zingiber purpureum
Roxb.). J Farmasi Udayana 2013;2:1-4.
17. Saifudin A, Rahayu V, Teruna HY. Standardization of Natural Medicinal
Ingredients. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu; 2011.