ASSOCIATION BETWEEN TOTAL PHENOL AND FLAVONOID CONTENTS IN ARTOCARPUS HETEROPHYLLUS (JACKFRUIT) BARK AND LEAF EXTRACTS AND LIPOXYGENASE INHIBITION
Keywords:Lipoxygenase, Reflux, Artocarpus heterophyllus, Phenol content, Flavonoid content
Objective: Inflammation is a localized reaction in the tissue in response to injury wherein mediators such as leukotrienes are produced as protective
response leukotrienes are synthesized during the metabolism of arachidonic acid by lipoxygenase and they increase capillary permeability and
leukocyte adhesion. Artocarpus heterophyllus is used in many medicines due to its natural anti-inflammatory activity. The aim of this study was to use
the bark and leaf extracts of A. heterophyllus to obtain the most active fraction that could inhibit lipoxygenase and to investigate the total phenol and
flavonoid levels in these extracts.
Methods: Barks and leaves were extracted by a multistage reflux method. An in vitro lipoxygenase inhibition assay was performed by measuring the
total phenol and flavonoid contents for each fraction.
Results: Ethanol extract was found to be the most active extract in each fraction. IC50 values obtained in the two most active fractions were 31.82
μg/mL in the ethyl acetate of bark extract and 46.61 μg/mL in the ethyl acetate of leaf extract. This value was higher than that of apigenin standard
which has an IC50 value of 2.08 μg/mL. The highest phenol content was present in the ethanol leaf extract with 404.903 mg gallic acid equivalent/g
extract. Meanwhile, the highest flavonoid content was found in the ethyl acetate of bark extract with 372.362 mg QE/g extract.
Conclusion: The bark and leaf extract tests showed that the increase in the total phenol or flavonoid content was proportional to the increase in the
enzyme inhibitory activity.
Kruppel-like factor 4 regulates endothelial inflammation. J Biol Chem
2. Luo M, Lee S, Brock TG. Leukotriene synthesis by epithelial cells.
Histol Histopathol 2003;18:587-95.
3. Krishna CK, Gopalakrishnan VK, Hagos Z, Govinda RD. Mesuaferrin
a-bioactive flavonoid isolated from the bark of Mesua ferrea L. Against
phospholipase A2, cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase: An in vitro,
in vivo and in silico approach. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:102-6.
4. World Health Organization. Asthma. Geneva: World Health
Organization Press; 2005.
5. Goodman and Gilman. Dasar Farmakologi Terapi. Hardman JG,
Limbird LE, editors. Alfred Goodman Gilman, Diterjemahkan Oleh
Tim Alih Bahasa Sekolah Farmasi ITB. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku
Kedokteran EGC; 2012.
6. Elevitch CR, Dan Manner HI. Artocarpus heterophyllus (Jackfruit).
Species Profiles for Pacific Island Argoforestry; 2006. Available from:
accessed on 2011 Apr 03].
7. Wang XX, Di XX, Shen T, Wand SQ, Wang XN. New phenolic
compounds from the leaf of Artocarpus heterophyllus. Sci Direct
8. Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with
phosphomolybdic- phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic
9. Vermerris W, Nicholson R. Phenolic Compound Biochemistry.
Dordrecht: Springer; 2008.
10. Nabilah EB, Djajadisastra J. Lipoxygenase inhibitory assay of Averrhoa
carambola L. Leaf extract. Int J ChemTech Res 2017;10:342-7.
11. Khoddami A, Wilkes MA, Roberts TH. Techniques for analysis of plant
phenolic compounds. Molecules 2013;18:2328-75.
12. Ghasemzadeh A, Ghasemzadeh N. Flavonoids and phenolic acids:
Role and biochemical activity in plants and human. J Med Plants Res
13. Abarca-Vargas R, Peña Malacara CF, Petricevich VL. Characterization
of chemical compounds with antioxidant and cytotoxic activities
in Bougainvillea x buttiana holttum and standl, (var. Rose) extracts.
Antioxidants (Basel) 2016;5:E45.
14. Dobrian AD, Lieb DC, Cole BK, Taylor-Fishwick DA, Chakrabarti SK,
Nadler JL. Functional and pathological roles of the 12- and
15-lipoxygenases. Prog Lipid Res 2011;50:115-31.
15. Murray RK, Granner DK, Rodwell VW. In: Pendit BU, editor. Harper’s
Biochemistry. 27th ed. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC; 2006.
16. Doiron J, Boudreau LH, Picot N, Villebonet B, Surette ME, Touaibia M.
Synthesis and 5-lipoxygenase inhibitory activity of new cinnamoyl and
caffeoyl clusters. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2009;19:1118-21.
17. Waterhouse A. Determination of total phenolics. Current Protocols in
Food Analytical Chemistry. Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; 2003.
18. Proença C, Freitas M, Ribeiro D, Oliveira EF, Sousa JL, Tomé SM,
et al. ?-Glucosidase inhibition by flavonoids: An in vitro and in silico
structure-activity relationship study. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem
19. Hubert BJ, Adama H, Moussa C, Ahmed CY, Martin K, Germaine NO.
Anti-inflammatory activities of fruit and leaves extract of Lannea
microcarpa England K. Kraus (Anacardiaceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci